A Litany and Prayer for Advent
This litany and prayer for advent comes from the prayer book Franciscans at Prayer (1982) and draws on the O Antiphons of Advent to create a prayer of the faithful that seeks to make the antiphons relevant to people today.
Litany for Advent
O Wisdom, O holy Word of God, you govern all creation with your strong yet tender care;
– Come and show your people the way to salvation.
O sacred Lord of ancient Israel, you showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush and gave him the holy law on Mt. Sinai;
– Come, stretch out your might hand to set us free.
O Flower of Jesse’s stem, you have been raised up as a sign for all peoples; kings stand silent in your presence; the nations bow down in worship before you;
– Come, let nothing deter you from coming to our aid.
O Key of David, O royal power of Israel, you control at your will the gate of heaven;
– Come, break down the prison walls of death for those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death; and lead your captive people into freedom.
O Radiant Dawn, splendor of eternal light, sun of justice;
– Come, shine on those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.
O King of the nations, the only joy of every heart; O Keystone of the mighty arch of humankind;
– Come and save the creatures you fashioned from the dust.
O Emmanuel, king and lawgiver, desire of the nations, Savior of all people.
– Come and set us free, Lord our God.
The Spirit and the Bride say: Come!
– Amen, Lord Jesus, come soon!
Father in heaven,
our hearts desire the warmth of your love
and our minds are searching for the light of your Word.
Increase our longing for Christ our Savior
and give us the strength to grow in love,
that the dawn of his coming
may find us rejoicing in his presence
and welcoming the light of his truth.
We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord.